Tuesday, July 31, 2012

On Teaching with Technology: Avoiding “Just Because”



I still remember the first time a student used an iPad in class. He was presenting on some concept or another in They Say / I Say, and began by placing his tablet in front of the document camera. Words and pictures were projected for the class as he read and elaborated on the main points, quickly swiping between slides all the while.

It took me about ten seconds to realize that he was simply projecting the e-book version of the book, and for that ten seconds I was impressed with the student’s presentation building skills. Then I was appalled at his lack of preparation.

That was 2010. Ever since that time I’ve had an aversion to using iPads in class, which is odd because I am a proponent of technology in the classroom in general. My distaste comes from, I’m sure, my student’s use of one as a means for laziness. Certainly I agree that interactive ebooks and other tablet accessible tools are useful, but using new technology as a shortcut or “just because it’s there” detracts from the learning process.

In my mind using something like an iPad as a teaching aid comes with great responsibility on the part of the teacher and the student. Just like using PowerPoint is often seen as tedious and nap-inducing, so too can forcing the use of a tablet, smart phone, or web-based learning tool. As teachers, we must develop our curriculum in such a way that technology enhances student learning, not just because it’s expected of it.

I’ve heard of several English departments that require graduate students to create a course website before they begin as graduate teaching instructors. To this I nod in approval because I think it important for budding scholars to have a web presence, and heaven knows that teaching multimodal literacy often requires skills like web design, but the fact that instructs must have such a site is troubling to me. How many GTAs new to web design simply created a site because they had to and thusly designed a course that was more clumsy and inefficient than it needed to be? Such sites can be wildly helpful, but understanding how to use such technology for student benefit is of paramount importance.

Now that I’ve ranted, here are a few ideas on how to effectively incorporate technology in the classroom:

1.       Electronic responses to papers: For years I hated track changes. Now, as an editor, I can’t live without them. Using track changes allows you to suggest rewording without scribbling in the margins. Similarly, the comment feature allows you to point to a troublesome passage instead of drawing arrows and circles that are, honestly, confusing as all get out.
2.       ebooks: A few years ago ebooks were basically just PDFs on an electronic device. Sure that can be handy, but I’d rather have a physical book. In 2012, though, many ebooks have interactive features that link to the Internet and/or additional content. Often times teachers will show a video or a still image to supplement a written work. Today, many ebooks do this work for you. Projecting an ebook to the class (much like my 2010 student) can be really useful in linking concepts between texts.
3.       Message boards or social network-style communication: Some forward thinking corporations are getting in to this, which just goes to show how smart teachers are. Utilizing a Course Management System with a social network-style “wall” (er, “timeline” I suppose) is a great way for students to ask questions and get quick answers (and not necessarily from the teacher!). What’s even better is that these questions are asked publicly, though students usually have the option of remaining anonymous, and they’re answered publicly, so the teacher won’t get fifteen emails in one night asking the same question. Plus, conversations are housed on the CMS so students can go back to them later.

There are many more suggestions I could bring up, and still others that you may be able to contribute. Please do share if you feel the urge! I’m interested to see what everyone else thinks about technology in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment